if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Moving to Ma.gnolia

I've been using the social bookmarking service del.icio.us for a while now, but not quite as often as I could. Usually when I have a site open for a couple days, I clear it out by adding it to del.icio.us.

For an upcoming plot to take over the world, I wanted to take an Atom feed from del.icio.us and merge it into a new feed. The only problem: del.icio.us doesn't use Atom.

I want Atom for a few reasons, mainly because you can do some tricky things when you create new feeds from existing Atom feeds. Also because Atom is generally cooler.

So I looked into alternatives. Ma.gnolia is another social bookmarking service that does outpu valid Atom feeds, in addition to some other goodies. I quickly copied all my del.icio.us data into ma.gnolia. I wanted to be sure the feed would work appropriately, so I ran it through the feed validator. It was valid, but had a few minor warnings. I shot of an email to support detailing the solutions and within hours they had fixed the feeds!

Now, if i can only convince Flickr to upgrade their Atom 0.3 feeds to 1.0, I'll be happy.

1 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it was easy to act fast with such good feedback. Thanks again for letting us know, and welcome to Ma.gnolia.
Todd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home