if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Google Just Won the IM War

...but it may be a while before anyone notices.

Today, Google Talk started supporting XMPP which means I can run my own Jabber IM server (oh wait, DreamHost already has that) and can use my own email address, at my own domain, and chat with folks on Google Talk (or any other Jabber server).

This will make IM much more friendly and open. Openness has a history of making lives easier.

Google Talk wins. My prediction is that at least one of the other instant-messaging providers (MSN, Yahoo) will go XMPP this year, in reaction. Yahoo is probably the most likely. Keep people using their client, but open up the network to keep the user base. I'm ignoring AOL right now, as their going XMPP is basically already planned.

I've been waiting for this to happen every since Google Talk was announced as Jabber. Thanks, Google!

1 Comments:

At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen said...

Absolutely lovely! This will defintely make the number of XMPP users multiply fast!
Hope we will make those ugly proprietary protocols obsolote soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home