if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Ruby on Rails - Days 2 & 3

Friday night, I stayed up late to work with Rails for a bit. I purchased the first Rails book that doesn't even exist yet. A very cool idea called a Beta Book lets me pre-order Agile Web Development with Rails and get an incompletely edited version on PDF today. It seemed like a good deal, and it is a good book.

I made it through a few chapters on Friday, and spent a few hours Saturday morning working through it. Once I got to the MySQL example, I hit a roadblock with my installation that I haven't been able to solve. Rails doesn't see my instance of MySQL, and I'm finding that many other are having the same problem on OS X 10.4. Needless to say, this little problem is not exciting. I will have to see what part of the installation is broken and start reinstalling. My guess is MySQL.

I was thinking that it was just about a year ago that I decided to learn PHP. I had never touched it before, and I dove in and created a highly successful product. Now, I consider myself quite skilled at that language. I hope my experience with Ruby on Rails will be even more successful!

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course the book exists, you bought it after all!

I had no problems getting Rails to notice my install of MySQL on 10.4. Be sure you compeltely follow Lucas Carlson's instructions here on updating Ruby for OSX. Then do a "gem install mysql" to get the correct MySQL gem--that's probably your problem.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Thanks Anonymous, but I had already tried that fix. I wonder if my problem is that I didn't install MySQL from Darwin Ports, as most people seem to do.

I did try to connect to a remote DB, but and didn't have luck, but I didn't spend enough time with it to really be sure if the problem is Ruby or MySQL.

I might just reinstall Ruby, Gems, Rails, and MySQL. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home