if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Insurance Policy

After a small but scary hard drive error last week, I decided to get a new hard drive.

Yesterday, my external 200GB laCie drive (with FireWire 800, FireWire 400, and USB 2 ports) arrived. It is reconditioned, so I got a great price, on a fast, huge drive.

laCie is definitely on my good side. I expected it to not include any cables, but it had 4! One for every input above, plus a 6-4pin FireWire cable for good measure. I not only didn't have to buy an expensive cable, but I bolstered my collection! Then, I checked the disk format, and to my delight, it was already Mac formatted (HFS+)! Let's be honest, they know the target market for these drives is the Mac creative user.

No, I can have a bootable backup of my entire hard drive. Before, I had all my really important data backed up between my old Mac and my web space. Finally, my photos, music, and everything else will be safe, and daily updated. Should my drive go down now, the hassle will be minimal.

Yesterday was also the day that Jason's PowerBook decided to die. Fortunately, my giant drive came to the rescue. We retrieved all of his files and he's sending it out for repair tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger the iPunk said...

Yeah, it's a good thing that the big drive arrived on time. Definitely a God-send. This entire process would be a lot more nerveracking and frustrating if Daniel hadn't of been so generous with his time and HD space. I called Apple yesterday, the box arrived today, and now it's awaiting DHL-pickup for shipment and service in Memphis. Here we go!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger the iPunk said...

A PB update...the box went out yesterday evening @ 6:30pm, thanx to a bad DHL driver. I got an email from Apple this morning saying that repair had begun on my 'book. Speedy service! Unfortunately, I also just read that my battery is probably going to explode and that I need to exchange it. One thing at a time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home