if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Friday, April 29, 2005

Another Large Cat

I finally read an interesting article about Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" which comes out today (though my pre-order from Amazon isn't scheduled to arrive until May 5!).

John Siracusa of Ars Technica reviews the new release in the amazingly in-depth way he has reviewed every release of the OS. John argues quite convincingly a point I have been arguing lately: "Tiger includes updates that are at least twice as significant as any single past update." Ok, that's actually a bit stronger language than I've used. The problem is that most of the truly interesting changes are under the hood, so they won't be noticed directly by the average user.

Some other choice passages:
"Well, the Tiger "X" does make the Panther "X" look kind of puny. But the spotlight effect lessens the "Box o' Death" thing Panther had going on."

"The whole Mail application looks like it got beaten with the ugly stick in Tiger."
Truthfully, I'm not done reading the article yet. When I got to page 7, I checked to see how many pages there were. 27!

Tiger marks the 6th release of OS X I have paid for (though never full "suggested" price). This includes $20 for the Public Beta, which was my primary OS for a few months. That was an exciting time, but never again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home