if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Monday, March 21, 2005

My new dev suite

After giving up on DreamWeaver a bit ago, I'm finally settled in to my new workflow.
XCode + CSSEdit + Transmit

For coding, I settled on Apple's XCode. It has a slew of useful techie features, and I've used it a lot in the past, though generally not for web projects. I lose (most) of my loved auto-completion, and the syntax coloring isn't as good, but I have full control, which I never quite had with DreamWeaver. Plus, SCM features might come in handy someday (setting up Subversion is on my long-term to-do list - working alone makes it easy to put off). Plus, it's free, which is the reason I prefer it over BBEdit. As a side note, I was in love with SubEthaEdit when it was first released (under a different name) and use it for XP but I don't like it for everyday use.

I found CSSEdit a while ago, and I love it. Brilliantly simple, and a breeze to use. The Source Editing mode is great (auto-complete alone saves me tons of time), and I can switch into Visual Mode to get a more compartmentalized view.

Finally, I purchased Transmit, a handy FTP client. I spent a couple hours test-driving a number of options, and had a bunch of personal email deleted in the process. Needless to say, Transmit did a bit better. Its interface is simpler than most, but actually offers more advanced features than the competition.

I've completed my development suite at a fraction of the cost of a DreamWeaver upgrade. I'm happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home