if ( knowledge ) {

A place for thought, progress, and dissent.

Monday, January 31, 2005

FrontPage (still) sucks.

I'm sitting outside Chicago after and evening of website creative collaboration. KTB and I worked out a sweet upgrade to the Oyez Review site (not uploaded yet).

Over some Caribou Coffee (Note to Caribou: Nobody wants to pay for Wi-Fi), I played with FrontPage for the first time in a few years. It still sucks.

Allow me a few sentences of ranting...
<rant>I have never seen another program code as poorly as FrontPage. Between gratuitous <font> tags, invalid code nesting and a propensity to add absoulute URLs (long path referencing your hard drive rather than something like "../images/header.jpg") it is enough to make anyone crazy.

Then there's the funky options (shapes?) that are just silly...

And God forbid I try to add a DOCTYPE or XML directives... It will allow them, but won't help you any.
</rant>

I don't want much in an editor. I don't use most features anyway. I really just want something that can nicely color my code so I can read it easier. Currently I use Dreamweaver, and occasionally Apple's Xcode, though Xcode doesn't handle the mixing of php and html as well as I'd like. I also like the built in, one-stop-shopping, FTP server in Dreamweaver, but its far from perfect.

Regardless, promise me, for your own sakes, that you will avoid FrontPage like the plague. Your browser will thank you.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed! You know... normally, MS programs are at least all right... I'm quite happy with excel/word/access... and windows is good enough for me... I guess IE sucks... but anyway... FrontPage definately sucks...

Just today actually I put a form in FP at work... I use it basically to build tables and things cause it's the only editor we have... then I continue in notepad (cause of course FP gets real confused by this "code" stuff)... anyway... I decide to try adding a checkbox to figure out how to make it checked in HTML and it's adding all this stuff about some kind of webbot and all this crazy crap... I just shook my head... stupid Frontpage...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home